Saturday, May 17, 2008

Deadlines

I love deadlines. Not just because of the whooshing sound they make as they fly by, but because they are the best incentives to get work done.

On the past few months I've been preparing for my quals, which should take place next month or so, and this has been my most efficient period as a PhD scholar ever since I started grad school. I accomplished more in three months than in the two previous years I've been working on my thesis.

Of course, there is a maturity component present. I wouldn't be able to write or to do research at all having skipped the time it took me to learn about the right programs, the right writing procedure, and of course, the physics. I guess I'm just starting to collect the first fruit of my labor and study since I started college. And that's very reassuring.

But, oh, I have so much to learn. I still feel very ignorant on group talks. I guess acknowledging that is also part of the process.

Well, let's get back to this presentation. I have to convince a board of professors that I'm worth staying on grad school.

3 comments:

Rebeca said...

Wow... When I hear you talking about what you work with I feel amazed, seems you have a great knowledge about cosmology and stuff (but who am I compared to your work mates XD)
But I feel exactly the same way as you when I see myself lunching with my advisor and collegues... They talk so much more about my job than I can think of talking!! They have so much more experience than me.

That's great you are more confident about what are you doing, realizing you did a great jog and have some cool results!


=)

Paulo Simões said...

I totally agree, man. Deadlines are great - to get the job done. Scientific research is driven by coffee and dealines! ;-) It's the only way to kill procrastination...

Francisco said...

Nothing makes me work better than a deadline.